Social Service Club
The Social Service Club of Bishop’s College is built on the fundamental principle of community service, which is compassion. Under the motto of ‘We rise by lifting others’, the Social Service Club aims at instilling in its members the value of helping those in need. Students are able to carry the lessons and experiences gained through club activities into their daily lives thus making them become more empathetic and understanding towards people of society.
Vision and mission
● Vision - To develop love and compassion in the hearts of all Bishopians’ and to make that a part and parcel of our daily lives.
● Mission - To educate and instill in our members the importance of self-worth and help them translate those lessons into acts of compassion towards others, keeping in mind our motto; ‘We rise by Lifting Others’.
Office bearers for 2021
- President - Ananya Perera
- Secretary - Nimaya Nanayakkara
- Vice President - Shenaya de Mel
- Treasurer - Chirathi Silva
Teachers in charge
- Dammika Liyanarachchi
- Sivamalini Selvarajah
- Neela Hewawasam
- Wendy Thenuwara
History of the club
- The club was formed somewhere before the year 1978,with the purpose of providing a helping hand to those in need and to help develop compassion among its members.
- In 2013 the Social Service Club won the gold award at the Pearson Edexcel Community Service Awards
- Bishop’s College won the Silver Award in years 2015 and 2016 consecutively at the Pearson Edexcel Community Service Awards.
- The Social Service Club of Bishop's College won the bronze award at the Pearson Edexcel Community Service Awards in the year 2017.
- Project ‘Pivithuru’ in 2018 won us the silver award at the Pearson Edexcel Community Service Awards, a
- We won the silver award at the Pearson Edexcel Community Service Awards in 2019 for our project “Alokaya”
Major Events throughout the course of the years
- The annual Edexcel Community Service Project
- 2015- This project was held at a Child Development Center where we spent many days with the kids. Fun and interactive sessions were held during this project
- 2016- We visited the Lauris Orphanage many times throughout August. We painted their walls and organized a cookery day, a mini-concert, a fun day and taught them English as well.
- 2017- This project was conducted at the Lankadhara Child Development Centre. This project aimed to uplift the English language skills of children aged 6-19.
- 2018- Pivithuru 2018 was a community service project held under the themes of Education empowerment and environment.
- 2019- The annual Edexcel project was conducted in August of 2019, under the name “Alokaya”. This was done in association with the Prithipura communities for the differently-abled.
- Visits made to underprivileged schools
- 2010- Organization of a sports day for the children of Jinaraja Vidyalaya and St. Mary and John Day Care
- 2011- Visit to the Blind School in Ratmalana
- 2012- Visit to Thotawatte Methodist College
- 2013- Organized a fun day for Grade 5 students of ‘Thotawatte Methodist College’.
- 2016- Visit to Nalawa college in Kurunegala.
- 2018- Gulavita Primary School in Walallawita
- Visits made to Elders’ homes and Orphanages
- Visit to Shanthi Nivasa elder’s home in 2010 and 2013
- Visit to Bethlehem Cresh, a children’s orphanage in 2010 and 2012
- Visit to Gunasekara Children’s Home in 2011, 2014 and 2017.
- Visits to Lankadhara Elders’ Home in 2011 and 2015
- Visits to the Sausiri Elders’ Home in 2019 and 2020 where Ms. Gunapala resides.
- Visit to Laurie's Children's Home in 2015 and 2017
- Visit to the Victoria Home in 2011 and 2016.
Recent events (2020 and 2021)
- Donation of PPE kits to the PHI officers - we donated 11 PPE cover all kits. The kits were donated to the Public Health Department, Colombo Municipal Council
- Donation of stationery items to the children of the school minor staff
- Donating essentials to the GTM Methodist School Colombo
- Online Webinar on the topic ‘ Self-Conception’
- Swasiri Christmas Project - Hampers were gifted to the elders.
- Charity project for the Ceylon Fellowship of Service-Prithipura Home- dry rations and other necessities were donated.
- The Social Service Club organized assembly for the month of July under the theme ‘Social Empowerment’
- We hope to organize a medical camp for the entire minor staff of Bishop’s College in the near future.
Pictures for gallery