Sinhala Literary, Debating and Drama Society - Senior
- සිංහල සාහිත්ය ඇසුරෙන් ශිෂ්යාවන්ගේ දක්ෂතා සහ පෞරුෂත්වය වර්ධනය කිරීම.
- සිංහල භාෂාවෙන් හා සාහිත්යයෙන් පෝෂණය ලැබ,නිර්මාණාත්මක කුසලතා ඔප්නංවා ගත් සිසු පරපුරක් බිෂොප් විද්යාලය තුළින් බිහි වනු දැකීමයි.
Mission- creating students with a potential towards Sinhala literature and developing talents in the student personality.
Vision- our vision is to develop a Bishopian who is enhanced with a strong personality and Sinhala communication skills through creative writing, poetry, speech, literature and grammar.
President - Sarah Henricus
Vice president- Senadi Lokugamage
Secretary- Sineli Muthuthanthri
Treasurer- Onaya Alwis
Teachers in charge - Ms. Shamalie Dewage, Ms Sandamali Jayarathna, Ms. Sagarika Premarathna ,Ms Disna Gamachchige
The Sinhala society of Bishops College was founded in 1960 by Mrs.A.C.B Jayasuriya in order to provide a chance for students to learn about Sinhala literature and to help students refine their skills.
This society has evolved around many activities in which Sinhala theatricals were very successful. The first play that had been produced and performed by the society was a love and tragedy story named “Unmada chitra” which was staged at the Lionel Wendt for three consecutive days.
Despite of the theatrical achievements, members of the Sinhala literary association had also participated in the all island Sinhala language and literature days which had been held at Royal College, in the year 2010
Also the members of the Sinhala debating circle had received the runners-up shield at a few competitions.
In addition the society continues to provide opportunities for the students by organizing essay writing competitions as well as short story writing competitions to pave the way for participants to discover themselves as well as to get use of their potential.
This society also presents “kala ulela” programs and a variety of entertainment programs as well. In addition inter school activities are also frequently held .The Sinhala society of Bishop’s college helps bring out the potential of the students which is why this society flourishes at Bishop’s college.
- In the year 1987 at the Y.M.B.A Jataka play contest, Bishops College had won a place with the “chora pabbatha” play which was directed by mrs.sunethra Fernando. The prize money of rs.5000 was donated to the school building fund.
- Participated in the “kala ulela” organized by the Thurstan College and won many prizes in the year 2012.
- Participated in the “soba siri” 2017 organized by Ladies College and Nirmani Jayawardene Won the first place from the Sinhala poetry category.
- Participated in the “kala ulela program” organized by the St. Thomas’s College and St. Joseph’s College in the year 2012.
- Organized an event called “Abhiru” in the year 2012.
- Organized a play called “guru maruwa” in the year 2012.
- “Ran aswanu” kala ulela was held in the year 2013.
- A street drama was organized in the year 2015 to entertain students.
- The “hunu wataye kathawa” by Mr. Henry Jayasena was performed in the year 2016.
- “Guththila” Drama was performed in the year 2016.
- The inter house competitions; oratory, Extempore, Essay writing and debating are being taken place annually.
- The Assembly for Sinhala and Tamil New Year is organized by the Sinhala society annually.
- A “janakavi” Competition is being planned to be held in the year 2021.
· An island wide stage drama singing competition “Rangahala’21”organized in collaboration with Royal College Colombo will take place from the 12th August 2021.
SINHALA DEBATING CIRCLE
“Without debate, without criticism, no administration and no country can succeed and no republic can survive” says John F Kennedy (1917 - 1963)
The Sinhala Debating Circle was formed as a subsection of the Sinhala Literature Society of Bishop’s College . All members (from grade 6 onwards) regularly get opportunities to participate in inter-school tournaments. The society has brought many benefits to its members, including interacting with others, problem-solving, making decisions and developing independence.
The Sinhala Debating Circle organises regular sessions to help its members develop essential critical thinking skills which enhances the ability to put forward well thought out arguments in addition to questioning the evidence behind a particular stance or conclusion.
To produce skilled debaters who will spread positive and inspirational messages to all.
To inculcate knowledge, creativity, critical thinking, communication skills and proficiency in Sinhala Language as well as to instill discipline, collectivity, sisterhood, empathy, self-confidence and other positive human attributes in students, in order that they may excell in the field of debating with relentless effort and endure victory with humility and defeat with graciousness.
Names of the office bearers and Teachers-in-charge
- I.D. Shamalie – Staff Advisor
- Ramesh madusanka – Coach
- Vohara De Silva – President
- Cheynendri De Silva – Secretary
- During the 1950s – 1960s a number of competitions were performed, within the school as well as on an inter-school level.
A mock parliament session was organized, giving the opportunity for members to exhibit their sense of ownership of the world and a sense of empowerment, as they were exposed to specific global and domestic disputes.
Activities such as visiting cinemas and theatres were organized by the society to enhance how to articulate one's thoughts, to identify your audience and choose the appropriate tone.
- On 22nd of October 1975 a novel concept was introduced to perform a debate between staff and the students. The staff team was led by a mother while the students’ team was led by her daughter. Teaching, to retain an element of poise and composure addressing the issue rather than getting carried away emotionally.
- It is stated that during the 1980s, the debating team was at its peak, resulting in good performances & wins and brought Bishops College into the limelight.
- Interschool House debates were organized annually as presentation plays a crucial part in how others perceive you as an individual, and more importantly, as competition.
- In 2010 our debating team was awarded at the fourth place in "සම්ප්රාප්ත 2010" Which was organized by sinhala and debate society of Royal college.
- In 2011 the debating circle participated in "තර්ක '11" also organized by the sinhala and debate society of Royal college. In the same year a workshop was conducted by professor Sarath Wijesooriya in order to polish skills, boost confidence - helping young debaters to shine.
- The debating team participated in "ප්රතිරාව 2013" organized by Ananda College.
- The interschool debate competition was organized by The Law Faculty of Colombo provided us the opportunity to win 3 out of 5 debates. This Encouraged debaters to be proud of their talents and achievements, in addition to being more appreciative of the opportunities.
- On the 22nd of June 2018, the team participated on a competition named "වාගාවී" organized by the Ladies College.
- In 2021 many competitions were organized virtually, which provided us with a unique experience as debaters had to practise good presentation skills, by considering what you say, speak slowly and with clear expression.
- "වාග් ප්රතිභා" was an inter-school debating competition organized by the debate society of Isipathana College held on the 12th and 13th of June. By winning three rounds opposing Presidents college Kotte, Mahinda College Galle, Anula Vidyalaya Nugegoda, provided us a great opportunity to perform by challenging our opponents and to be ready to identify any loopholes in their counter-argument.
- " ව්ද්වාන් " an inter-school competition organized by Mahanama college. The team was able to progress towards two rounds opposing St.Aloysius Galle and Lumbini College Colombo.
- " තිරසර " allowed the debaters to participate and gather experience to think outside of the box and making the best of a bad situation, and to take on any challenge. This was organized by “Pioneer Youth”
- We are hoping to participate in "පැණසර” which will be organized by Vidyartha College Kandy on the 14th Aug 2021.