Growing up is so exciting. There are many 'first' things- Your first smile, your first step, the first solid food you eat, the first tooth that pops up, your first word, the first book you read, your first hair cut and then to top it up , it's your first 'proper school' and with each of these 'firsts' kids learn as they grow. And to paint that picture even more perfect, the NURSERY of BC is the cherry on top.
We aim to be a home away from home for our students as they make their first transition into formal schooling. And this we achieve by being committed in providing the kids in our care with a steady, loving and a thriving environment, where they are encouraged and inspired to be independent and self-reliant, to participate in decision making and laying emphasis on learning while having fun but never pushed.
Our Learning lessons and activities for the year are meticulously planned and structured valuing the child’s individuality, keeping in mind that childhood is precious, magical and pressure free.
We spark the joy of learning in our kids through, fascinating creepy crawlies, gorgeous clothes, feathery birds, exiting nocturnal lives, contrasting colours, stunning flowers, life underground and below the sea, real and make believe creatures, breathtaking land formations are some of our topics, loved by all and enjoyed to the fullest.
Our daily schedule includes-
Yoga, Singing, Dancing, Chanting Positive Mantras, Math Concepts, Scissor Drills, Exercises of Practical life activities, Self Care deeds, Snack Time rituals, Colouring, Drawing with teachers, Manipulating Geo boards, Shape mats and Clay Dough, Counting Aids and lessons in Sharing, Caring, Helping, being kind and to respect their elders.
🙂We give our children ample amounts of opportunities as possible to acquire language and literacy skills through our,
- Book Corners
- Circle times
- Poem reciting marathons
- Free play& Play Dates
- Shape& Nature walks
- Table games& Doll play
- Poems & Tongue Twisters
- Tea Parties & First Aid sessions
- Outdoor Painting & Kite flying
🙂We broaden the little minds of budding scientists by creating scenarios in
- Weather patterns
- Sensory Bins
- Planting & Growing seedlings
- Investigating shadows
- Camouflaged activities
- Bugs& Slithering animals
- Robots & Dinosaurs
- Rocket Launching
- The Milky Way.
🙂We go beyond maps, diagrams and graphs when exploring Geographical and Geometrical concepts through:
- Our field trips
- Walks around the College grounds
- Observing an Aquarium
- A tour of the city
- Kite and Parachute flying
- Shopping at a Supermarket
- Visiting Pizza Hut
🙂Some of our" Special Days" are based on the concepts of inclusion, equality, love and respect for individuals, elders and communities.
- Father’s and Mother’s Days
- Children’s Days
- World Peace Day
- Book days
- Photographic Exhibitions & Painting Displays
- Avurudu, Wesak, Ramadan & Thai Pongal
- Campfire & Pyjama Party
- Christmas celebrations
🙂 In our Nursery Kitchen we make sandwiches and Omelettes, Bake Bread and Toss Pancakes , Boil, Crack & Peel eggs, Steam vegetables and Mix Christmas cake during the "most beautiful time of the year"
🙂 Our Mini activities (with lots of cute play) are included in the Happy Hat day, Crazy Hair style day, Mismatch Day, Fancy hair clip moments, Butterfly dressing, Dinosaur dressing, Water Play time, Lunch Dates in school, etc. etc
🙂We explore with
- Clay& Mud
- Paints and Crayons
- Junk& Nuts & bolts
- Needles & Pins
- Thread and Frames
- Charcoal & Bricks
- Leaves, Grass, Twigs, Glue & even Mud!
🙂Water Splashing, Bubble blowing, Mud painting, Sand pouring, Paint squirting are activities thrown in, to make our journey memorable yet fulfilling.
- It's designed on a Thematic approach that relates to the whole child.
- Activities are planned to be appropriate to each child’s stage of development.
A consistent daily schedule enables children to have confidence in the structure of their day and fosters "self directed play" – the best vehicles for growth and development at this tender age.
- The daily schedule is planned to provide a balance of activities such as indoor/outdoor, quiet/active, individual/group, large muscle/small muscle and child initiated/ staff initiated.
- Importance is placed on fostering independence, self-esteem, socialization, language development and being a part of a class.
- Students are exposed to the concepts of pre-reading, counting, measuring, grouping, decision making balance, gravity, reasoning, co-operation, self-awareness, empathy, patience, and self-expression.
- Daily learning centers include opportunities for problem solving, cutting, writing, sorting and comparing.
- Children are exposed to learning positional words, opposites, recognizing numerals and their number value.
- Children are introduced to “School readiness skills” of listening to the teacher, following directions, waiting for a turn answering appropriately and being excited about the learning process.
- Weekly they are exposed to activities in keeping with the thematic units.
- Our special events are Moms & Dads days, concert, photographic exhibition, Pyjama party, Christmas concert & a "Send off"
- We are equipped with 5 brightly coloured classrooms each with a student roll of 16 – 18.
- AND The heart of our programme, the staff at Bishop's College Nursery is committed to providing exceptional service to all of our students; with attention to detail, a passion for excellence, and continuing professional development- in short we are called ' The Nursery Aunties' by day and IT workers and Youtubers at night.Yes, this is our goal for all those who cross our path!