Home Science Society
The Home Science Society is one which cannot be defined in a single phrase or sentence as it touches many aspects of life; from being a responsible citizen, managing one's personal life while taking on various responsibilities and tasks.
To guide students to seeing the flipside of any situation, achieving and maintaining the welfare and well being of home, social and family life in an ever changing society, creating a better environment for them and the future.
Our mission is to develop the mindset of the students in order to stand out in challenging situations, creating a peaceful environment.
Home economics is today a subject concerning human development, personal and family finance, housing and interior design, food science and preparation, nutrition and wellness, textiles and apparel, and consumer issues. Our society focuses on guiding students in the above mentioned paths creating better women in today's society.
Teachers In Charge and Office Bearers
Teacher’s In Charge : Ms. Shanika Peiris
Ms. Joyce Emil
Ms. Induni Jayamanna
President : Prashansana Jayasundera
Secretary : Sarah Joseph
Treasurer : Vishmitha Palihawadane
The history of our society
Before the simplified term "Home Science" was used, our society was known as the "Domestic Science" society.
As per our knowledge based on research, the society was formed in the 1950s.
Even though evidence of our society existing in our school in the 1950s is clear, Domestic Science and cookery classes had been held in schools such as Hillwood College, Kandy far before that.
- Planting a vegetable patch beside the Main Hall in 2008.
- Our society was placed 03rd in "Zest" (a vegetable and fruit carving competition) in 2009.
- The "Kola Kanda" project where students were served porridge every Tuesday and Thursday in 2013.
- Taking part in the "Culinary Fiesta" organised by St. Thomas' College in 2016.
- The opportunity to attend "the Youth Forum" organized by Hilton Colombo Residencies in both years 2016 and 2017.
- A fundraiser by screening a movie at the College Main Hall in 2019.
Major events held throughout the years
- A first aid demonstration by the head nurse of the accident ward of the Colombo General Hospital in 2008
- A workshop on fruit and vegetable carving by a Chef from Hilton Colombo in 2010.
- A workshop on nutrition by the president of the Sri Lanka Association of the Advancement of Science in 2010.
- A visit to St. John's home where the students were able to provide lunch prepared by them in 2012.
- A demonstration on pastry making by Chefs from Waters Edge Colombo in 2012.
- A visit to Cinnamon Lakeside where students were able to observe the idea of hospitality management and the hotel industry in 2014.
- A culinary workshop at SLIIT Campus in 2017.
- A cookery demonstration workshop by the Kingsbury Hotel in 2018.
● An exhibition showcasing the talents of the members of our society in 2018.
- Organizing an end of term assembly under the theme of "youth and society", the guest speaker being Mr. Hans Billimoria in 2018.
Recent events and meetings
- A special lunch for the Principal, Vice Principal and Sectional Heads in 2020.
- A virtual Christmas themed table setting contest in 2020.
A cooking competition for students of Grade 9, to improve their skills in the culinary arts.