English Literary and Debating Union
- The Senior English Literary Association of Bishop’s College
- Our vision is to see students have a growth in terms of literary understanding and have an appreciation for the avenue. Our mission is to bring a better understanding of English Literature to the students of Bishop’s College.
- The Current Office Bearers
- President - Ginuri Ranasinghe
- Vice President - Maneesha Panditharathne
- Secretary - Samantha Liyanamana
- Treasurer - Natasha Ranawake
Why and when The English Literary Association was formed?
The English Literacy Association had its roots planted in the early years of its establishment to stimulate and motivate the young enterprising minds to perform challenging activities. It functions with the motive of sharpening the literary, aesthetic and communicating skills of the students. It started with the humble act of Senior students reading newspaper clippings to the younger students and took shape from there on. Later on, after unstable political issues, the Association screened films for students and brought in guest speakers to speak to the students.
Schools review regarding The English Literary Association.
To enhance English Language and English Literature, the school added its own curriculum and established an 'English Literary Association' to develop the English skills through various activities held in the form of an association.
Notable achievements of the ELA:
- In the year 2002, the members of the English Literary Association participated in an Inter-School announcing competition organised by the broadcasting unit of Ananda College, at which 2 of our club members were placed 1st and 2nd.
- The English literary Association held a literature exhibition named “In Retrospect”, where several of our students displayed presentations about authors, poets and dramatists in 2006.
- Students of Bishop’s College have often gone through the ELA and participated in “Speak Out” a speech competition organised by the Gavel Clubs of Royal College and Ladies College and have won several titles as well.
- Knowledge of Shakespeare is an Inter house quiz competition organised by the English Literary Association of Bishop’s College. In this quiz, students are tested on their knowledge of the greatest English playwright and dramatist of all time. Commencing and continuing this quiz is a notable achievement of the ELA as it is a unique quiz unheard of and is not done annually by any other school.
- Multiple workshops on public speaking and oratory etc. have been conducted over the years with the presence of notable chief-guests such as Mr. Dhananjaya Hettiarachchi (World Champion of Public Speaking for the year 2014), toastmasters such as Mr. Mahesh Jayasinghe, Mrs. Sabira Cafoor.
⁃ It is with the help of these workshops that students went on to achieve great success in multiple competitions.
- Workshops on creative writing and poetry writing etc too have been conducted with the presence of prestigious organisations such as the Chokolaate Magazine.
- In 2018, the ELA hosted a literary festival together with the English Literary Association of St. Thomas’ College Mt. Lavinia in order to celebrate literary arts and broaden cultural knowledge of the student representatives of invited schools.
- Writing Competitions -
- Interhouse Essay Writing Competition
- Interhouse Creative Writing Competition
- Interhouse English Poetry Writing Competition
- Interhouse Short Story Writing Competition
- Speech Competitions -
- Interhouse Extempore Competition
- Interhouse Oratory Competition
'Appreciation of the Arts' workshop based on drama, debate and creative writing.
'Forecasting Fantasies' workshop based on the exploration of fairy tales.
'Speak Out', a speech competition organized by ELA of bishops college and the Gavel club of Royal College.
'Speak Out', a speech competition held by Gavel clubs of Ladies and Royal college.
Public speaking workshop for members of the English Literary of Association of other schools.
Public speaking workshop conducted by Chokolaate Magazine.
The Literary Quiz
The 1st “What’s Your Story?” digital storytelling competition.
The 2nd “What’s Your Story?” digital storytelling competition.
ENGLISH DEBATING CIRCLE
- The English Debating Circle of Bishop’s College is a society of competitive english language debaters who are involved both in local debate circuits and international tournaments. Through the guidance of our Principal, Vice-principal, staff advisors and coaches the Debating Circle has soared to great heights as the years progress.
- Captain – Anah Cassim
Vice-Captain – Tiara Ganegama
- Teachers-in-charge – Ms. Sathindra Amarasinghe
– Ms. Shiromi Tennekoon
- Current Coach – Ranudi Jayasinghe
- The English Debate Circle was founded in the 1930’s as an extension of the English Literary Societies activities and held meetings every fortnight
Practices - The English Debating Circle has practices twice a week under the supervision of our staff advisors and guided by the coach of the teams
- The Bishop’s College A team was placed semi-finalists at the All Island Debate Championship with the team consisting of Sandaruwani de Silva, Sarah Jameel and Keshia Pendigrast
- Bishop’s College was placed overall quarter finalists at the 4th Faculty of Law Sri Lanka Schools Debating Championship
- Rev. Dr. Stanley Abeysekera Challenge Shield - St. Joseph’s College
- The team comprising of Sandaruwani De Silva, Thameena Zarani and Keshia Pendigrast emerged overall winners and Sandaruwani De Silva was awarded best speaker
- The team comprising of Rashmi Dias, Asma Azmy and Priyanka Bastianpille emerged first runners up and Rashmi Dias was nominated as best speaker in this category
- Bishop’s College qualified for the finals of the Debaters’ Council League
- Bishop’s College was placed semi-finalists at the Musaeus College Impromptu Debating Competition
- Wanya Gunawardene, Sinneli Jayampathy and Enneshya Perera ranked as the 10th, 11th and 12th Best Speakers’ at the All Island Moot Court Law Faculty Debates
- Wanya Gunawardene, Sinneli Jayampathy and Enneshya Perera were also selected to the Sri Lanka Pool to represent Sri Lanka in January 2012
- Team A emerged quarter finalists at the Sri Lanka Schools Debating Competition
- 6 out of the 9 speakers that took part in the competition were selected to be among the 50 best speakers in the Sri Lanka Schools Debating Competition
- The debating team qualified for the octofinals of the Sri Lanka Schools’ Debating Tournament organised by the Faculty of Law of the University of Colombo
- They became Semi finalists at the Impromptu Debating Championship organised by Holy Family Convent
- At the Dr. N.M. Perera Memorial Challenge Trophy Debating Tournament organized by Ananda College, the team comprising Ranudi Jayasinghe, Sonakshi Jayamanne and Nethma Karunaratne qualified to the Semi-finals.
- They also emerged 5th at the Elizabeth Moir Debating Competition
- Team B comprising Ranudi Jayasinghe, Sonakshi Jayamanne and Nethma Karunaratne qualified for the Octa- Quarters at the Sri Lanka Schools’ Debating Competition, organized by the Faculty of Law of the University of Colombo
- Stafford International School Debating Championship 2018
- Team A was placed quarterfinalists
- The novice team comprising of Anah Cassim, Shaadia Cader and Anumm Irshad emerged Novice Champions
- Dr. N.M Perera Memorial Challenge Trophy
- Team A placed quarter finalists
- Ranudi Jaysinghe and Nethma Karunarathna were placed among the top 10 speakers of the tournament
- Anah Cassim was placed amongst the top 10 speakers at the Lillian Nixon Debate Challenge 2018
- Bishop’s College held the inaugural Inter-school Debate Championship where Royal College emerged victorious
- Team A and Team B of Bishop’s College were placed semi finalists and quarterfinalists respectively at the 14th Faculty of Law Sri Lanka Schools Debating Championship
- Dr. N.M.P Challenge Trophy 2019 Champions
- Ranudi Jayasinghe and Nethma Karunarathna were place joint best speaker and Sonakshi Jayamanne was placed third best speaker at the tournament
- Lillian Nixon Debate Challenge 2019
- Bishop’s College was placed octo finalists
- Ranudi Jayasinghe and Nethma Karunarathna were placed 3rd and 7th best speaker respectively
- Sonakshi Jayamanne and Anah Cassim were selected for training amongst the national pool of English Debaters
- Bishop’s College qualified to participate in the Debaters’ Council League as one of the top four schools on the local debating circuit
- The Bishop’s College A team was placed semi finalists at the Elizabeth Debating Championship 2020
- 15th Faculty of Law Sri Lanka Schools Debating Championship
- Team A and Team B were placed finalists and octo finalists respectively
- Anah Casim and Ranudi Jayasinghe of team A were placed 3rd and 6th best speaker of the tournament respectively
- Anah Cassim was placed best speaker at the Dr. Vijitha Weerasinghe Memorial Online Tournament 2020
- The Bishop’s College A team was placed octo finalists at the Debaters’ Council Online Championship with the team comprising of Anah Cassim, Sonakshi Jayamanne and Anumm Irshad
- Anah Cassim and Aniqah Irshad were selected for training amongst the National Debate Pool
- Anah Cassim was selected to represent Sri Lanka on the official national team at Macau World Schools Debate Championship 2021
- 16th Faculty of Law Sri Lanka Schools Debating Championship
- Team A was placed semi finalists
- All 3 speakers were placed within the top 10 with Anah Cassim, Sonakshi Jayamanne and Tiara Ganegama being placed first, fifth and seventh best speakers respectively
- The Bishop’s College team emerged runners up at the Elizabeth Moir Online Debating Championship 2021
- Dr. N.M.P Challenge Trophy 2021
- Team A was placed quarterfinalists
- Anah Cassim was awarded best speaker
- The Bishop’s College A team was placed octo finalists at the D. S Impromptus organized by D. S Senanayake College
- Bishop’s College took part in their very first international tournament as a school team at South Asian Schools Debating Championship 2021 with team Bishop’s Gold narrowly missing the breaks. The team comprised of Tiara Ganegama, Afrah Athahurahman and Aniqah Irshad
Achievements at the International Debate Platform
- Sandaruwani De Silva was selected to represent Sri Lanka on the national team
- Sandaruwani De Silva participated at the 2007 World Schools Debating Championship
- Sandaruwani De Silva participated at the 2008 World Schools Debating Championship
- Sandaruwani De Silva participated at the 2009 World Schools Debating Championship
- Sandaruwani De Silva participated at the 2010 World Schools Debating Championship where she ranked overall 11th best speaker
- Sandaruwani De Silva coached the Sri Lankan National Team for the 2012 World Schools Debating Championship
- Anah Cassim represented Sri Lanka as a part of the national English Debate tea for 2021
- The Sri Lankan Team was placed octo finalists and Anah Cassim was awarded 24th best speaker and 8th best speaker for overall and English as a Second Language categories
- Team Sri Lanka were the champions of the ESL category of Oxford-WSDC 2021
- Team Sri Lanka emerged quarter finalists at ARGO 2021 with Anah Cassim being placed 11th best overall speaker
- Anah Cassim was part of the Sri Lankan Team that was placed octo finalists at the South Asian Schools Debating Championship 2021
- Team Sri Lanka were semi-finalists at the International Schools Debating Championship 2021 hosted by QatarDebate
- Anah Cassim was on the Sri Lankan team that was placed quarter finalists at Protea WSDC 2021 and was awarded 7th best overall speaker
- Anah Cassim was on the Sri Lankan team that was placed semi finalists of the Hong Kong WSDC 2021
- Anah Cassim was on the team that was placed semi finalists at the Asian Schools British Parliamentary Open- Winter 2020
- Aniqah Irshad represented the Sri Lanka as part of the National Pool 2020-21
- Represented Sri Lanka in the Online Dutch Schools Debating Championship 2020 and was ranked 8th in the Novice Tabs
- Represented Sri Lanka in the Hong Kong Open WSDC 2020
- Represented Sri Lanka in the Exhibition Debate held by the World Economic Forum 2021
Images from the inaugural Inter-school Debate Championship