Commerce and Young Entrepreneurs Society
To nurture the entrepreneurial spirit in students by providing them necessary skills and firsthand experience in the business world.
Names of office bearers and teachers in-charge
President - Shenaya de Mel
Vice President - Dasuni Wickramakankanama
Secretary - Ranudi Jayasekera
Treasurer - Sasmitha Dowani
- Shasmika Senevirathne
- Dulanma Weerakotuwa
- Amritha Sureshkumar
- Tanushri Banda
- Suhanya Peiris
- Nishali Samarawickrama
Teachers –in Charge
- Ms. Ruchika Bandara
- Ms. Uditha Rajapakshe
- Ms.Chandini Samaraweera
- Ms. Shanika Wickramarathne
History of the society
In the start of the year 2019 on 21st April a workshop based on the theme of “entrepreneurship” was organized. Where the two guest speakers was Ms. Rashmi Dias and Ms. Mariam Omar. The objective of this workshop was to mold young minds of developing entrepreneur skills and its legal aspects. The team comprising of five members of the society won 2nd and 4th in the video clip and business plan competition by participating at the D.S Brand Awards 2019.
On 5th of March 2019, a team comprising of four members of the society took part at the CA Business plan competition organized by institute of Charted Accountants of SriLanka. Bishop’s College was placed 3rd in the regional round for Colombo district.
The movie “Aquaman” was screened on the 26th of March for the students of the school by the Commerce and young entrepreneurs’ society. The first activity for the Adam term was the plant and food sale which was held in order to raise funds for the annual commerce day, it was successful as the students were able to raise profits whilst being eco-friendly.
The Annual Commerce day was held on 16th of October at the school main hall under the theme of “Alzati”. The motive behind the theme was to encourage the youth to rise up from this current economic crisis.
In the start of year 2020 the Commerce and young entrepreneurs’ society of Bishop’s College emerged 2nd place in Quizcom on the 8th of January. The Quizcom was organized by the Department of Commerce and Finance management of Kelaniya.
On the 28th January, The Annual Commerce Workshop on the topic of “Entrepreneurship” took place. Where the guest speaker miss Diarra Wickremesinghe a past pupil of bishop’s college, shared her entrepreneurial journey of becoming head chef and owner of brown sugar with the members.
On the 28th of February the members of the society was able to visit Colombo Stock Exchange and Lanka Clear (Pvt) Ltd. The year ended with 4
members emerging as winners in the presentation segment of the Commerce Day competition organized by D.S. Senanayake College, Colombo.
- Organized a workshop based on the theme of "Entrepreneurship". • Printed pens and sold them to the students of the school.
- Participated in a quiz competition organized by the University of Kelaniya.
- Participated in the D.S Brand Awards 2019 - The team was placed 2nd and 4th in the video clip competition and business plan respectively.
- Participated in the CA Business Plan Competition organized by the institute of Charted Accounts of Sri Lanka. - The team was placed 3rd at the regional round for Colombo district.
- Screened an entertaining movie "Aquaman" for the students of the school. •Organized a plant food sale.
- Hosted the annual Commerce Day under the theme of "Alzati".
- Participated in the Quizcom 2020 organized by the Department of Commerce and Finance Management of the University of Kelaniya.
- Bishop's College emerged 2nd place in the competition.
- Organized an annual workshop on the topic of “Entrepreneurship ". • Visited the Colombo Stock Exchange and Lanka Clear (Pvt) Ltd.
- Participated in the Commerce Day competition organized by D.S. Senanayake College,Colombo.
- The team emerged as winners in the presentation segment.
- Organized an online carrier guidance webinar.
- Participated in an idea hunt competition organized by Royal College. Phase 01 = Digital booklet Phase 02 = Presentation
- A project to help the needy during this period of time by collecting money from students (asking them to deposit any amount they are willing to donate) or to donate dry rations agreed upon.
- A webinar regarding small and medium scale entrepreneurs (5-6) by providing them separate time slots and conducting a Q&A session where we can enable students to ask questions. (Questions will be inquired and collected prior to the webinar)
- To invite a well reputed paper marking teacher to conduct a business studies seminar for students who are sitting for A/L.