Science & Maths Society -Junior
“Encourage Maths & Science through Critical Thinking & Creativity.”
“To encourage our little Scientists & Mathematicians to bring out their best with confidence & knowledge.”
We, the Jr: Science & Mathematics Society focus on the students from Gr 6-8 who are keen on
Science & Maths by leading them to the fields of Mathematics and Science through better understanding and greater confidence. We strive to enhance learning, understanding and discipline, whilst enjoying and developing qualities like creativity, imagination, dedication and participation. We always believe that “Mathematics & Science holds the key to the entire Universe.”
Teachers In Charge and Office Bearers
Teacher’s In Charge
Ms. Sulakshana Ariyaratne
Ms. Thilini Thilakshana
Ms. Ruby Kandaiah
Ms. Thushani Perera
History of the Society
- The Jr: Science & Mathematics Society was formed in the year 2014.
- This Society was formed to enhance knowledge of Science and Math for Middle School students as well as to develop good qualities like unity, participation teamwork, and skill development; while broadening the little minds on Science and Mathematics in an easy, friendly manner.
Major events held throughout the years.
- In 2014 the Grade 7 students visited the Planetarium.
- In 2015, the society hosted a programme by ‘Vision Care Opticians’ on one’s vision and how to
take care of it.
- In 2016 Grades 6,7 and 8 were taken on an educational trip to ‘Nature’s Beauty Creations. LTD’
and learnt how cosmetics are manufactured using indigenous plants of Sri Lanka.
- In 2017, the members of the society visited a Science Exhibition organized by Methodist College.
- In 2018 the students visited the Link Natural Products Pvt. Ltd and Fonterra Factory as a field trip. To end the year the society also organized an excursion for Grades 7s & 8s to visit the Colombo
- In 2020, a general assembly for the Middle School was held themed “Stem Robotics”. A workshop
based on the topic “Nano Technology” was also organized in the same year.
- For the years 2021 and 2022, a Math Obstacle Course was conducted for the Grade 8 students.
- In the year 2023 the committee for the year 2022 organized a trip to Galle featuring a hike to the
Hiyare Rainforest and a visit to the turtle hatchery in Kosgoda.
Upcoming events -2023
- Planning to have excursion to a food manufacturing plant or a cosmetic manufacturing plant.
- A Quiz Activity evening with a treasure hunt.