“History is who we are and why we are the way we are”
The Bishop’s College History Society preserves our state’s history and makes it accessible to everyone in ways that advance the knowledge and inspire curiosity of all the people, places, and events that have shaped our nation.
To create the national identity of the young generation.
To improve the knowledge, attitudes and skills of the present-day students by educating them with the history of the country.
Teachers In Charge and Office Bearers
Teacher’s In Charge
Ms. Deepika Kulathilaka
Ms. Sudarshani Madawanarachchi
Mr. Upul Dissanayake
Ms. Rasika Jayawardena
History of the society
The History Society was introduced at Bishop’s College during the latter part of the first term of 2011. Ms.Zainab Barry was the first staff advisor to create this society. The main aim of creating this society was to develop an interest for history among the students at large.
- The History Society was introduced at Bishop’s College.
- The first meeting was held on the 5 th April 2011.
- During the second term of school new members were recruited from grade 6 and above.
- Meetings were conducted every fornight Tuesdays.
- Each meeting was conducted by the student of different grades.
- During the third term meetings were conducted every Tuesday from 1.45pm – 2.30pm om popular demand of members.
- Amashi DE Mel was the first president of the society.
- First project of the year was the continuation of the school history book that had been published a few years ago.
- The book was successfully finished with the events that took place in our school during the year 2000-2011.
- Furthermore a seminar was organized for the students who will be sitting for the O/L examination this year.Miss Dilma Kokgalage,Senior Lecturer of the Kelaniya University conducted the seminar on 17 th September.
- Began work for the year with the members of the society joining in an excursion to Kandy on 28th February.
- Visited the Temple of Tooth, Balana Fort and Garrison cemetery.
- Visited the parliament on the 4th of June.
- The annual Inter House History Quiz was held on the 18th June and Henley House was the winner.
- Organized an Inter School History Quiz named ‘Retro’ which was held on the 30th September.
- Visited the Colombo museum on 13th of October.
- Conducted the general assembly for the month of November.
- Educational excursion to Gampaha on 1st of February. Visited Varana Rajamaha Viharaya, Pilikuththuwa Rajamaha Viharaya and Maligathanna.
A Food sale was held on 24th of February in order to raise funds for the society.
- Visited Matale Aluviharaya and Nalanda Gedigeon 13 th of June.
- Annual Inter House History Quiz was Held and Henley House became overall champions.
- Visited the parliament on the 26 th of February.
- Furthermore, the second assembly was organized for the Lent term as We celebrate Independence Day. A renowned academic and writer in Sri Lanka,Deshamanya Professor J.B.Dissanayake was invited as the chief guest for the senior assembly and at the junior assembly Mr. Upul Dissanayake addressed the students as the guest speaker.
- The Annual Inter House History Quiz was held where Chapman House became overall champions.
- The members of the History Society visited Yapahuwa, Dambadeniya and Panduwasnuwara on the 8th of October as their educational excursion.
Organized ‘Historia 2016’on 21st of October. This program was conducted to students from many schools in Colombo and Mrs. Aparna Kishore was invited as the chief guest.
- The students were taken to Galle on 28th January and visited the Kushtarajagala, Thotagamuwe Vijayaba Pirivena, the Martin Wickramasinghe Museum and the Galle Fort along the Dutch Museum.
- An educational excursion was organized to Kandy on 17th June and visited the Dedigama Kota Vehera, Balana Fort, Temple of Tooth and the Garrison’s Cemetery. Annual Inter House History Quiz took place on 17th October.
- The members also visited the Colombo Museum on 25th October.
- Trip to the Anglican Cathedral and Athugal Viharaya in Kurunegala on the 27th of January.
- Furthermore organized the assembly on ‘Women’s Day’. Ms. Rajitha Jayasuriya was the chief guest for the senior assembly and at the junior assembly Ms. Thaji Dias addressed the students as the guest speaker.
- Visited the parliament on the 25th of May. • Visited the Ibbankatuwa cemetery, Ridee Viharaya and Dambulla on the 4th of August as a part of our educational excursion.
Organized a History Quiz.
- Organized the second assembly for the Lent term as we celebrated Independence Day. A lecturer of International Studies at the Univerfory of Kelaniya, Dr. Chaminda Abeysinghe, was the chief guest at the senior assembly. The junior assembly was addressed by a research analyst Shayani Jayasingne.
- In February, the members visited a few historical places in Ratnapura. We had informative and amusing adventures at Delgamuwa Raja Maha Viharaya, Saman Devalaya and Diva Guhawa.
- An educational excursion was arranged in February to Delgamuwa Raja Maha Viharaya, Saman Devalaya and Diva Guhawa.
- A virtual assembly was held to mark ‘Founders Day’ on 21st of January.
- Moreover a webinar was organized on the 1st of July where Dr. Priyankara Jayawardena discussed on Covid – 19 prevention and safety measures. Meetings:
- We had several virtual meetings on 10th, 14th, 17th,23rd, 28th,30th of June,28th,30th of July.
- A virtual journey was organized in the Advent term to provide insight on major civilizations such as Egypt, China, Mesopotamia, Indus valley and Mayan civilization. The journey will offer simulation of the civilizations through a sequence of photos and videos.
- Five of our enthusiastic club members participated in the Prof. Senarath Paranavithana All- Island Inter-School History Quiz organized by the History Club of Royal College. Amaya Weliwita (Team Leader), Menudi Wanasinghe (Sub Team Leader), Nesangi Hemakumara, Thiranja Silva and Muthuli Wijegunawardana took part in this All- Island Inter – School History Quiz competition.
- Visited the historical and Buddhist cultural places in Mihintale and Haththikuchchi Viharaya. This was specially arranged for students to be educated on the historical places in Sri Lanka.
- A joint project together with the Buddhist society of Bishops college was done in the month of May.
- Us together donated essential items to a less fortunate school in Kaluthara.
- We collected enough and more donations with the help of all the students in the school.