Eastern Music Society
It’s hard to find someone on earth who does not love music. Music is a sweet medium that brings coolness to the mind that is simply pleasing to the tears. Oriental music is a great solution to get rid of the busy mindset and stress under difficulties.
Our vision is built on our belief that learning music works best when young people are making music, and when their existing passion for music is reflected and built-upon in the classroom. We want to help more youngsters to be able to access music making and encourage them to keep playing more music.
Ms Pushpani Wijewickrama founded the Eastern music society of Bishops college in 2006 to develop students musical, mental and spiritual well-being. The orchestra was also formed by Miss Pushpani Wijewickrama which comprises violins, tabla, guitar, keyboard, thammattam, glockenspiel, harmonium and kongo.
Major events held throughout the course
- Since 2014 we have been visiting an elder’s home once a year to fulfil their needs.
- The society trip every two years
- Every year the orchestra which is joint and led by our society plays a significant role in making
the Bakthi Geetha program a success.
- Oriental singing and instrumental competitions
Note: The Past Pupil Association of Bishops college donated a CD of collection of songs of Latha Mangeshkar In 2022.
- The Eastern Orchestra will be performing in the Bakthi Geetha Program.
- The year 2023 society trip
- Elders home visit
- The instrumental and singing competition
Teachers In Charge and Office Bearers
Teacher’s In Charge
Ms. Savithri Illeperuma
Ms. Rekha Rodrigo
Mr. Thishan Liyanage