To inspire by our work a love and appreciation for choral music in present and future generations while promoting a sense of community and mutual understanding through the universal language of music
Teachers In Charge and Office Bearers
Choir Director- Mr Denham Pereira
Choir Leader- Melissa Dawson
Deputy Choir Leader/Secretary- Ruaani Rajapakse
Teachers In Charge- Ms.Dilhani Peiris, Ms. Gimhani Gunasekara
History Of the Choir
The school choir officially met for the first time during Mrs Samarasekara's term of office, which lasted till August 14th, 1959. However, records of the choir date back to 1890.
- The Carol service
- Founders’ Day Service
- Evensong every Term
- Ash Wednesday Service
- Confirmation Day Service
- Evensong for St. Margaret’s Day
The Choir after a carol service
The Choir singing the carol ‘Silent Night’ at the Carol Service in 2018
- The choir attends the ‘Festival of Choirs’ event organized by the Bible Society both in the Chapel of Trinity College, Kandy and the Cathedral of Christ the Living Saviour, in Colombo almost every year.
The Choir singing at the Trinity College Chapel, Kandy
The choir singing at the Cathedral of Christ the Living Saviour.
- It is recorded that in the period of 1890-1932 the school choir has repeatedly secured the Challenge Shield or Second place at Mr Harvard’s Singing Competition.
- The Senior Choir won the All Island Singing competition and were among the many schools that sang carols at the President’s house.
- The choir emerged senior champions at the All Island Choir Competition for the 4th consecutive year.
Notable events held throughout the course of the years
- The first Evensong as part of the celebration of the Festival of the Sisters of St. Margaret was held on the 19th of July. This tradition continues even to this day.
- Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh attended service at St. Michael and All Angels Church, Polwatte, on the 11th of August. 5 girls from Bishop’s College were given the privilege to sing in the choir.
- In September a musical evening with Lylie Godrich Singers included “The Beauty Shop and the Barber Shop” when the choir of Bishop’s College, trained by Lylie Godrich made their contribution in 1998, “A Musical Kaleidoscope” with a cast of about 600 students from grade one to thirteen, presented songs from Broadway musicals.
- Productions such as” The Gondoliers”, ‘’Tobias and the Angel’’ and ‘’South Pacific’’ in 1998, became highlights in the calendar of the events of the Bishops College Choir.
- “ Sparks of purple” a variety entertainment programme, was organised by the choir of Bishop’s College, in 2003.
- The Choir production, “Stay Tuned”, took to air on the 10th and 11th of June. This was staged on two days to raise funds for a new building project in 2005.
- ‘In the Spotlight’, the choir show that was put together by the late Mrs Ruwani Seimon, took place. This concert is yet fondly remembered by all and goes down as one of the most memorable in the recent history of Bishop’s College.
- The Choir also participated in a concert organized by UNICEF.
- Another concert called, ‘Dham Ran Sara’ too was organized by the choir this year.
- The choir had an eventful year, launching its first CD titled "Musical Extravaganza"
- Also, the Choir organised the inaugural Choir Day, "Chantez 2010".
- A considerable sum of funds from BELIVE-2012 was donated to the children’s ward at the Maharagama Cancer Hospital to purchase highly-priced medication for needy patients.
- The choral production “NOSTALGIA’15” : In September 2015 the choir hosted a very entertaining evening of music from the ’60s to the present day and part of the proceeds were donated to the Lanka Alzheimer’s Foundation.
The choir at Nostalgia’15
- The Choir was invited to St.Thomas’ College, Mount Lavinia, on the 22nd of May to sing alongside their Chapel Choir at the Chapel of Transfiguration, for the first time in history.
- The choristers were a part of the choir for “The Church’s One Foundation” conducted by an Italian conductor, Battista Prada, and the De Lanerolle Brothers, which was held at the Cathedral of Christ the Living Saviour, on the 29th of July.
- The Choir was invited to be a part of the Army Carol Concert hosted at the Nelum Pokuna theatre.
The Choir at the Army Carol Concert, at the Nelum Pokuna theatre.
- A joint service with the choir of S.Thomas' College Mount Lavinia was held at the Chapel of the Transfiguration on the 16th of June.
- The Choir sang for the first 'Confirmation service' of Bishop's College which was held on the 26th of June at the college main hall.
- The Choir took part in 'Eclectic', an Inter-School Evening of Choral Music' organised by the senior choir of Methodist college which was held on the 7th of September.
- The choir also sang at the 'Royal Festival of Choirs' organised by the Royal College Colombo, which was held on the 11th of October.
- Official permission was granted for the Choir of Bishop’s College to sing at services of Marriage of Past Pupils and the Choir sang for their first wedding in January.
- Due to the COVID 19 pandemic, the first virtual Choral rendition from home was uploaded, the hymn 'For the beauty of the earth' was published online in celebration of ‘Music Sunday’ held on the 14th of June.
The choir singing the anthem 'For the beauty of the earth' in celebration of ‘Music Sunday’
- The choir also took part in the '28th Festival of Choirs' and thanksgiving service which was hosted online. This was organized by the Ceylon Bible Society which was broadcast via YouTube and Facebook on the 1st of August.
The choir singing for the ‘28th Festival of Choirs’ virtually.
- The first-ever Virtual Carol Service was broadcast via YouTube on the 18th of December. All the Carols were recorded from the safety of the Choristers' homes and the Organ music heard in the service was recorded at The Church of St. Michael and All Angels.
Virtual Carol service for the first time in the History of Bishop’s College.
● The choir sang for the service of thanksgiving and farewell of the former Principal Of Bishop’s College, Mrs. Sharmila Gunatilleke, which was held on the 12th of March at St.Michael and All Angels Church, Polwatte.
● The Choir also sang for the Service of Induction of Ms Chemali Herath, as the 22nd Principal of Bishop’s College on the 22nd Of April.
The Choir at the Service of Induction, 2021
- The Carol Service for the year 2021 will take place in the month of December of this year.
The Choir after the Service of Induction, 2021
The Choir at the Festival Of Choirs, organized by Royal College in 2018
The choir at St. Thomas’ College for Trinity Sunday, in 2019.
The Choir at the Chapel Of Transfiguration, St.Thomas’ College.
Trinity Sunday at the Chapel of Transfiguration, 2016.
The Choir singing at the Cathedral of Christ the Living Saviour in 2017
The Choir at the Chapel of Trinity College, Kandy.
The Choir at the Holy Emmanuel Church, Moratuwa, in 2017.