The Prefects’ Guild of Bishop’s College consists of students that are from each and every part of school. Each year our guild strives to reach greater and greater heights, while always looking out for the wellbeing of our alma mater.
Office Bearers 2021
Head Prefect- Ulindu Fernando
Deputy Head Prefects- Melissa Dawson
Staff Advisor- Ms.Dhiluckshini Canagasabey
History of the Prefects Guild
- The Guild was involved in the organizing and executing of many school events and functions including the Founders’ Day service, the Annual Inter House Sports Meet, the Kindergarten Activity day, the Annual Prize Giving, Festival of Theatre, Kalai Vizha, Bakthi Gee, LC-BC hockey encounter, Islamic Day and the opening of the new swimming pool complex.
- Eighteen junior prefects underwent a three day programme on Mediation. The workshops were held from the 25th to the 27th August and were conducted by trained officials from the Ministry of Justice.
- The Annual Prefects' Day was held on the 26th of September at the school main hall, under the theme 'We are different, yet so alike'. Mr. Mohommed Adamally, who is a renowned speaker and personality development coach, addressed all participants at this event.
- The Prefects initiated a new project to help the Lower School hostellers with their homework- especially English- by supervising the Junior hostellers' prep time every evening.
- They were also involved in a charity project that aimed to assist schools in the North and North-East regions to recover from the aftermath of the Sri Lankan ethnic conflict.
- The Annual Prefects’ Day was held under the theme 'envision it...work for it!". Prefects from several other leading schools were also a part of this project.
- A service of thanksgiving and farewell was organized for the ministry of Mrs. Hemamali Bibile on 8th April 2011, to commemorate the great service she rendered for the past 8 years as the Principal of Bishop's College.
- The Prefects’ Guild also had the opportunity to be part of the installation of the 15th Bishop of Colombo; Rt. Revd. Dhiloraj Canagasabey which was held at the Cathedral of Christ the Living Saviour on 14th May as well as the institution and installation of our new principal Ms. Sharmila Gunatilleke which took place at the Church of St. Michael’s and All Angels, Polwatta on 31st May.
- Seventeen of the newly appointed Junior prefects underwent a four day programme in Mediation. The workshops were held on 29th and 30th August and 2nd and 3rd of September. These workshops were conducted by trained officials from the Ministry of Justice.
- The Annual Prefects’ Day was held on the 5th of November under the theme 'Pirates of the Caribbean'.
- The Guild was highly involved in organizing the Bishop’s College Walk, better known as the “Purple Parade”, which was held on the 9th of June 2012.
- They were also involved with organizing many other events including the Annual Prize Giving, Request stall at the St. Margaret’s Sale which was held for the 125th year and the Saree Party better known as “The Social”.
- The newly appointed prefects underwent a four day workshop organized by the Ministry of Law and Reforms, in partnership with the British Council, which trained them to assist two or more parties in solving a problem.
- The Guild commenced a scholarship fund through which school fees would be provided in full, to a deserving student. Several sales were organized in order to finance this.
- ‘The Social 2013’ was held on the 13th of September.
- The Annual Prefects’ Day was held on the 30th of November and the Guild attended several such Prefects’ Days hosted by Visakha Vidyalaya, Ladies’ College, Royal College, Colombo International School etc.
- The Junior Prefects underwent a three day training programme organized by the Ministry of Law and Reforms in partnership with the British Council, where they were trained by 3 officials from the Ministry of Justice.
- The Senior Prefects together with the students of Grade 13 organized “The Social 2014”.
- The Guild hosted a Prefects’ evening instead of hosting the customary Prefects’ Day. The Prefects also attended several Prefects’ Days hosted by many other schools.
- The Guild organized a leadership programme with the Bishop of Colombo, Ven. Dhiloraj Canagasabey and was also part of the National Christian Council’s Centenary Celebrations.
- The Prefects underwent a five day training programme organized by the Ministry of Justice.
- Took part in ‘Impulse 2015’, a talent show organized by the Prefects’ Guild of Visakha Vidyalaya and was placed third.
- Hosted ‘The Red Carpet Affair’, the Prefects’ evening where Mr. Baathiya Jayakody was invited as the guest of honour.
- The Prefects appointed for the year 2015 along with 45 other senior students underwent a three day training programme organized by the Ministry of Justice to learn effective techniques of Mediation.
- The Prefects together with the Staff Guild of Bishop's College successfully collected, packed and labelled donations from the entire school body in aid of flood victims.
- Also, as done in previous years, the Prefects organized the Request Stall at the Annual St. Margaret's Sale.
- Prefects' Day for the year 2016 was held on the 10th of September in the School premises with the presence of Ms. Jayanthi Kuru-Uthumpala as the Guest Speaker.
- The Prefects’ Guild also attended Prefects' Days hosted by Visakha Vidyalaya, Carey College, Colombo International School, St. Peter's College, St. Bridget's Convent etc.
- As a goodbye to the students of Grade 14, the Senior Prefects along with the students of grade 13 organized "The Social 2016", which was held on the 1st of October at the School main hall.
- Keeping true to our motto “Non Sibi Sed Omnibus”, the Prefects, together with the academic and service staff of Bishop’s College, collected and assembled a significant amount of donations from the entire school body, which were then utilized to aid flood victims.
- They also organized an assembly in September under the theme ‘Mediation’.
- One of the most pivotal events organized by the Prefects’ Guild is the annual Prefects’ day which took place on the 16th of September at the College premises. The much loved Roald Dahl classic “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory'' was brought to life by the Prefects of our school. 124 Prefects from leading schools around Colombo attended this event which was graced by Ms. Anoka Abeyratne, a past Bishopian. The day concluded successfully with the traditional bonfire and sing along session.
- “The Social 2017”, an evening of fun for the students of Grade 14 was organized by the Prefects’ Guild. The event took place on the 18th of November at the College Main Hall.
- The Prefects' Guild organised many school events including Inter-House sports meet, Founders’ Day Service, the Request stall at the annual St. Margaret’s sale, the Annual Prize Giving, Inter-house swimming meet, Bakthi ghee, Tamil and Hindu Cultural Day and Carol Service.
- The Prefects’ Guild also organised a green life project themed, ‘Green Goals’ within the school premises.
- The Prefects appointed for the year 2018 along with a few senior students, underwent a three day training programme conducted by the officials from the Ministry of Justice.
- Service awards were distributed for the Senior Prefects for the year 2018
- The Prefects’ Guild contributed their support towards organizing events such as the Founders’ Day Service, Inter-house Sports Meet, Avurudu celebrations, Inter house Swimming Meet, the Annual Prize Giving, Bakthi gee, Kalai Vizha, Islamic day and Carol Service.
- The Prefects were also involved in several other school events and projects like the service held at the Cathedral for the Archbishop of Canterbury, Teacher’s concert, the annual LC-BC hockey encounter and Amity; Bishop’s College vs. Methodist College Table Tennis encounter.
- The Senior Prefects along with the students of grade 13 organized the “Social 2019”.
- Prefects’ Day was held under the theme Ceilao 19’ with the presence of Ms. Thajithanjani Dias (Grand daughter of Professor Chithrasena) and with the participation of Prefects from invited schools.
- The Prefects’ Guild also played a vital role in carrying out mandatory security measures for students as a result of the Easter attacks of 2019.
- Teshani Hettige, a Senior Prefect, achieved the highest results in the island from the commerce stream at the GCE A Level exam 2019.
- Seraiah Fernando, also a Senior Prefect, obtained the highest mark in the world for law at the Pearson Edexcel IAL Exam held in May/June 2019.
- The Mediation programme was organized for the students of Grade 12.
- The Guild also assisted in organizing the Founders’ Day, the Annual Inter-house Athletic meet, Past Pupils Sports meet, coordinating church services held at St. Michael’s and All Angels, and monthly assemblies.
- The Prefects’ Guild rose to the occasion during the unprecedented times of the Covid-19 pandemic,by assisting the school in carrying out the health and safety regulations that was required.
The Prefect’s Guild of Bishop’s College is pleased to announce that we organized our very first Virtual Prefects’ Day on the 19th September 2021. The event was graced by chief guest Ms.Kasthuri Chellarah who is the first female Group CEO of a public quoted conglomerate in Sri Lanka.
More than 100 prefects from all over the country attended this event, which was a huge success.