“Art is the desire of man to express himself, to record the reactions of his personality to the world he lives in.”
Art gives us a chance to find ourselves according to our imagination and solitude. Art indulges our senses into building a connection with our creative mind and Mother Nature. Art makes us feel good!
The Art Society of Bishop's College encourages students to express their thoughts, feelings and creativity through various visual art forms. The club provides an opportunity to the students to let their imagination run wild and provides them with the sight to see things in a different way.
The aim of the Art society is to foster an artistic environment in our college and develop an appreciation of art and aesthetics in the student’s community. Its aim is to bring out the creative, expressive and aesthetic potential of each student. The Art society of Bishops college encourages responsiveness to new ideas and respect for individual differences by fostering self-esteem, respect for others as well as their work, cultures and art.
Names of the teachers-in-charge:
- Mrs Virginia Thalpavila
- Mrs Vinodhini Ratnakumar
Office bearers for 2021
- President - Nitara Fernando
- Secretary - Jerusha Elango
- Treasurer - Obrina Inbaraj
History of the club
The main objective of the art society is to encourage the budding talents of the students and also to provide opportunities and encouragement to express oneself freely.
The education objectives of this club are to encourage imagination, create ability and introduce an artistic environment. Inspiring students to make maximum contributions as creative artists.
Notable achievements and major events held
- In 2005 two students of the art society participated in the “CELESTA the cultural fiesta” which was held in the World Unity Convention Center, CMS Girls’ Degree College, Lucknow, India.
- Nishika Samaratunga won the gold award in the painting category and Menasha Perera won the 5th place in collage category.
- Many students have won different art competitions throughout the years. In 2019 Keshiya Shridaran and Shenaya Tissera won awards at the all island art competition in the design category.
- Art exhibition at the Lionel Wendt Art Centre in the late 80's
- Art exhibition in the new building art room in 1991
- Art exhibition at the School auditorium in 2008
- Art exhibition at school auditorium in 2019
- Art exhibition in 2019
- Inter house virtual art competition in 2020
- Inter house art competition
- Art exhibition
- The Old Art Room
- Grade 10 art society trip
- Grade 11 art society trip