The middle school section of Bishop’s College consists of grades 6, 7, 8 with total of 432 students.The students are offered three mediums of instruction and follow the local government syllabus.
Founder’s day is an annual event that falls on 21st of January. This year too a founder’s day service was held at St.Michael’s and all angels church, Polwatte. The students of our section were given the opportunity to express their views on “being a Bishopian”.
A well planned program was held in the main hall. This program focused on the struggle for independence and the value and importance of protecting it.
This is a cultural event that was organized for the students to not only create awareness but also to educate them on cultural values.
Junior Science Society
- This society was newly formed in 2014 and their first event was an exhibition. While the exhibition was opened by the Principal Ms. S. Gunatilleke, It was viewed by the entire school. An invitation was extended to a few surrounding schools.
- The society further organized an awareness program regarding “eye protection and care” and a mobile eye testing service for the staff in collaboration with Vision Care opticians.
The students of the section were taken on educational excursions during the course of the 2nd term.
- Grade 6: Norochcholai power station and salterns in Puttlam
- Grade 7: Railway museum Kadugannawa and Ceylon tea museum Kandy.
- Grade 8: Vendol factory and Kandy
The students are not only encouraged in studies but also sports and co- curricular activities such as speech, writing, drama and musical competitions. These are carried out in all three languages (English, Sinhala, and Tamil).
Best class of the year
This award was introduced in 2014. It is based not only on education but also good behavior and overall performance.We congratulate Ms. Sulakshana Ariyaratne and her class 7A for being the winners for 2014.We hope to continue this in the years ahead.
- There are five classes in each grade and the teacher/student ratio is 1:30.
- Lessons are conducted in Sinhala, English and Tamil mediums.
- The Syllabus consists of 13 subjects.
- Subjects such as History, Civics, Geography, Health, Science and Practical and Technical skills (P.T.S) are introduced in Grade 6.
- Speech and drama are conducted every fortnight.
- School History is taught in grade 6 and 7.
- A period is allocated alternatively every week for games and library activities.
- Aesthetic subjects are as follows – Western Music , Eastern Music, Art and Oriental Dancing
- Karanatic Music, Baratha Natyam (Tamil medium only)
- P.S.H.E (Personal and Social Health Education) sessions are conducted by the class teachers every fortnight.
- Parents - teachers meetings are held every term to enable parents to meet & discuss their child’s progress.
- Each grade is managed by a Grade Head who is always available to oversee the discipline and needs of their particular Grades.